Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Espana: Week 3 of Camp and a Silly Story

Funny Story First:

Last week, the woman we are staying with (Darlene) was out of town for a few days. Sharon and I decided to order some subs from a place not too far away and have them delivered to the apartment. The owners are really nice and mutual friends, so we like to give them our business a lot. While waiting on the second floor balcony for the sub guy, with money and FRONT DOOR KEYS in my hand, I see Sharon come out to join me WITHOUT THE BALCONY KEY in her hand.

I realize that the key is just inside the door as it clicks shut, and we are both on the balcony. The issue is that there is no door knob on the outside of the door, just a hole for the key...We both realize the dilemna at the same time, and stare at each other in shock...

We call down to some other apartment owners who are outside for help...The one man climbs up to our balcony (proving my theory that we are in fact no really that secure on the second floor if this very old man can just shimmy up here in no time.) He confirms that yes, we are locked out and no windows are open either (again, making me feel not very secure that he could check all that out so fast....)

My brain kicks into gear and I ask one of the men to go unlock the front door and I toss the front door keys to him. I hear him come up the stairs and hold my breath as I hear the lock jiggle. We had forgot one thing.....the stupid deadbolt. It turns out that all this security in this awesome apartment had totally backfired and we could not get in!!!

About this time, the sub delivery guy arrives, and sees our predicament with interest (I think his interest was mostly in the fact that he would get his money, but who could blame him...). I threw his money down to him and he tossed the subs up to us on the balcony and walked away laughing. I think I'll be embarrassed to eat there again, but hey, I'm leaving in a few weeks and at least he has a funny story to tell his friends about the idiot american girls who locked themselves on the balcony! I mean, really he should be thanking me---a huge tip AND a funny story :).

By this time, the old guy who has joined us on the balcony confirms it: we have to cut through the screen door to reach the keys. He does this and we are inside in a minute. Sharon told Darlene the story (which I insist is hilarious, but Sharon doesn't think it is as funny as I do...) and Darlene said for future reference, there is a spare key hidden out there if it happens again....GO FIGURE :)

Now, we only put the deadbolt on at night and are super careful when we go out on the balcony and always leave generous tips at the sub shop :)

Here is the link to the sub shop, but I have a feeling that they won't deliver to the US...

YAWAY SUBS--better than subway :)

Now, down to other business:
Last week at camp ended with a special treat for the kiddos: ice cream!!! They enjoyed it a lot and the rest of the Friday activities as well.

After camp Friday the other girls and I relaxed, because we had a beach trip planned for Saturday to a beach called Sosua, about 2 hours away by bus.

Traveling by bus (like a private greyhound bus) is really easy and cheap here. We showed up at the bus stop about an hour early, bought a ticket to Sosua and were on the beach by noon! Here, you can pay some a few dollars to set up a lounge chair and umbrella for you right in front of the surf. It probably helped that my friend's Dominican husband did the talking. If I were bargaining, it would have been a terrible deal for all of us :) Also, when you want to eat lunch, they bring a little table and everything right to you on the beach!! The water was crystal clear and you could see your feet!  All said and done, a wonderful day at the beach for about $20.



I went to a different church on Sunday with my friend who teaches here and then Sharon and I made tacos for lunch (well, she made tacos and prepared everything and I just grated the cheese lol).

On Monday, "Senorita Espana" made her first appearance at camp. That's really just me wearing the flag of Spain like a cape and a pair of sunglasses. She is my twin who was raised in Spain and came to camp this week just to teach the kids about Spain (at least that is what I told the kids).

Then, I came down with a gross cold Monday also, and another girl had to be "senorita espana's cousin" today because I was home in bed. The great thing about the pharamcy's here is that there is one every few blocks and medicine is pretty easily accessible. I just told them how I felt and they gave me a decongestant---and was back home within 15 minutes!

After a nice day of rest..."Senorita Espana" will be back at camp tomorrow, hopefully not too stuffed up :).


2 comments:

  1. That is an awesome story! LOL I think it's very funny!

    The pharmacy's even will bring you your meds...well a lot of them will anyway.

    I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to that beach! Looks beautiful. Glad you have time to play tourist also.

    ReplyDelete