I was with the 4th, 5th and 6th graders today, as their main teacher was absent. The kids were a lot of fun--one of the boys was actually from New York and visiting family here in the DR for the month.
The day started at the church down the street with singing and registering kids who didn't sign up. A lot of kids were missing the first day---which makes me a bit nervous that they will all show up tomorrow, because I thought the group sizes were perfect today. :)
First, the kids spend some time doing schoolwork and catching up in areas that they were weak in last school year. The kids have a chance to eat something if they brought anything and have recess. Then, they have either bible class or a culture class.
The other girl from the states is Sharon, a Spanish teacher from the Chicago area. She helped to plan the whole camp and teaches the bible lessons. Since she teaches high school at home, we have funny stories to share...
I teach the culture lesson--the theme of the camp is "around the world" and this week they are learning about Kenya. I'm sure to the other teachers' dismay I taught the kiddos to say hello in Swahili, "jambo" which they continued to repeat all day. :) I also googled some pictures of Kenya and even the teachers were surprised at the clothes of some of the tribes.
I still promise there will be pictures at some point...
On this link you can see the church where each day of camp begins.
No comments:
Post a Comment