Last week, Sharon, the other American here from Chicago (who teaches Spanish) moved into the house where I am staying. I think our host (who is sincerely the sweetest woman ever!) really enjoys the company. She is always making plans for us to do different things and see the city. It usually involves stopping for ice cream, so I am totally ok with it. Who am I to deny this sweet lady her ice cream :)
Saturday a bunch of the teachers and myself met at the school to begin painting a mural on one of the walls. We got about halfway done before the heat forced us to be done for the day. I think that it was great for those teachers to volunteer on a Saturday to help out at school like that. For working all summer at the camp they earn about $100. We'll finish the mural on Thursday after camp---it's already looking great! Because it is so hot, the school doesn't really have any decorations because nothing will stick on the walls, so there really isn't much to look at in the classrooms. The painting on Saturday kind of reminded me of Tech and the way the teachers all pitch in and help each other out.
This past weekend, we went to the historical monument in Santiago, DR. There are plaques and visuals that tell the history of the DR and how they got their independence, from Spain and Haiti. I got some awesome pics of the city from the top. See note below about pictures :(
At the monument there was an insistent man selling puppies. We also were approached by a man selling puppies. They were the most adorable puppies in the world and I ALMOST bought 5. I know 5 puppies seems like a lot, but I really wanted ALL of them that the guy had :). Man, did that guy know how to sell them---he let me hold them and everything!!!
Yesterday (Monday) the super sweet lady that I am staying with took myself, Sharon and Kerrenda (another American girl from Texas visiting for 2 weeks) to the tourist market so we could look at cheap Dominican souvenirs to take home.
This week the kids are learning about Australia. Most of the kids that come to this camp are behind their peers in academic skills, so they have an hour with their teacher reviewing reading, writing, math (basically whatever they need) and then twice a week they have a lesson about the country of the week with me. I taught them how Australians greet each other, "hello, mate!" :) I also taught them a super annoying song (annoying to their parents I'm sure) about the animals in Australia. You should see their faces when you tell them about some animals they never heard of---it's like they can't even believe it!
Tonight is 2 for 1 at the pizza shops around here, so we are declaring a pizza and game night (you know, because of all the laborious and dreadful work with the kiddos every morning lol).
**I cannot get my pictures from my "smart" phone to my computer. I will keep working on it...**

No comments:
Post a Comment